Checklist for Choosing a School
- Conduct first-round research on schools of potential interest. Attempt to begin 12 months before the first day of school.
- Set up appointments to tour the schools or attend open houses.
- Conduct second-round research on candidate schools.
- Complete the necessary paperwork for each school in which you have an interest.
- Set up an appointment for an admissions assessment.
- Grades 5 and above require scores from the ISEE test. Ask the school for forms to register for the test.
- Check on the final notification procedure (e.g. personal call or letter).
- Schedule and attend your childs follow-up evaluation conference with admissions. Be sure to attend whether your child is accepted or declined.
10 Ingredients for a Successful School Experience
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Is your child happy in school each day?
- Is your child excited about a particular subject?
- Does your child have good peer relationships?
- Can your child complete homework independently?
- Is your child eager to try new things?
- Is there an open communication between the school and you?
- Does the teacher set realistic goals for your child?
- Are your child's needs being met?
- Does your school offer special assistance if needed?
- How good are your child's grades?